Thursday, July 11, 2013

Abounding Hope: Week 8--A Vessel of Hope

When we meet Joseph the stage is immediately set.
 "…Israel loved Joseph more than any other of his sons, because he was the son of his old age.  And he made him a robe of many colors" – Genesis 37:3
What could have become a story of hate and revenge instead became one of restoration and hope.  
Joseph was not the first to suffer at the hands of his brother, but in this case we see God's continued favor upon his life. From the sparing of Joseph's life forward, God continued to bless him, and even at times using people to position Joseph.  Starting with Reuben,  God provides vessels to be used in providing for Joseph.  Even in the most dreadful of circumstances, regardless of the person's motivations, God can use someone to make a way.
I'm asking myself what kind of vessel am I. Am I a vessel of hope and encouragement? Or do I allow bitterness and anger to fester and sour hope? 
 "..there are not only vessels of gold and  of silver, but also wood  and of earth; and some to honor, and some to dishonor.  If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel to honor, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared to every good work…follow righteousness, faith, clarity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart…" –2 Timothy 2:20-22
 Are you willing to let God use you? I think most of us want to be helpful, maybe even hopeful.  But are we willing to do what is required of us to be used by God? 
Yes God can use anyone, any circumstance.  But to be an honorable vessel means "you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work" (NLT).
 Thankfully perfection is not a requirement! Even with my flaws God can still fashion a useful vessel. Even if I am still trying to read through the Bible for the 1st time, even if I haven't memorized every Psalm or perfected Family Devotions, God can still use me and you!
 Lord, I pray you shape us into the vessels you call for us to be. By your design may we find purpose and hope.  Amen.
Written by Michelle Walker-Alexander

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates