Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Abounding Hope: Week 3--A Great Example of How to Suffer Well


 June 5, 2013 by Jennifer Baierl

We begin our study this week watching Job suffer greatly through terrible sores all over his body.  Satan was certain that Job would curse God if he were to suffer physically.  What we see instead, is that Job is wise in saying "Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive disaster?" (Job 2: 10)
 … But God already knew this.  He knows our every thought before we speak them.  


"Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether." 
Psalm 139:4

He made me, you, and Job!  We are beautifully crafted by His hand and there is nothing that escapes him.  The entire chapter of Psalm 139 describes how God knew us in the hidden depths of our mother's wombs, even before that, when we were still just part of the earth.  I think of what it is like to be known down to my very fiber, knowing that I don't know myself that well.  How does this all relate to Job?  Because God knew that He could trust Job.  He knew that Job's integrity was upright and that even under affliction, he would not curse God.
For you formed my inward parts;
    you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.
Psalms 139:13-14 ESV 
 When we are suffering, do we suffer in silence?  Do we cry out to the Lord, thinking He doesn't hear us?  Do we cry to our girlfriends or our spouse?  Or do we go to the Lord, believing in His word, knowing that He cares for us and has our best interest at heart?  We cannot go anywhere that the Lord is not aware of our comings and goings, or aware of our desires.  He knows that we are suffering and longs to hear the cries of our hearts. 
"I will cry to God Most High, Who performs on my behalf and rewards me
 [Who brings to pass His purposes for me and surely completes them]!" 
 Psalm 57:2 AMP

Lessons I learned this week:

  • Job was faithful even after losing his family, his fortune, and being stricken with physical affliction.
  • We are NEVER out of the presence of the Lord, no matter what pit we think we're in!  (Psalm 139:7)
  • We are NEVER forgotten by the Lord, no matter how long you have been seeking an answer! (Psalm 139: 3)
  • God hears our EVERY plea and cry to him, but may not choose to act on our timing.
 Watching Job suffer so greatly sometimes diminishes my suffering when I look back, but I know that it's suffering, none the less.   

Do you have an example of suffering where you relied on the Lord to navigate your days no matter what His answer?

Written by Jennifer Baierl
WCW Social Media Coordinator



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates